Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Flashbacks

Sitting in my stand the other day waiting on a deer, any deer, I thought back over the past several kills I had made. It dawned on me that I hadn’t killed a doe in over a year. Bucks, yes. Does, no. It was last October when I last killed a doe…

It was about 40 degrees and raining a little when I got to my stand. I had just put the stand up that day and I knew it was a good spot since I had seen deer there both times I had been there before, but hadn’t had any shots.

 It was about 5:30 by the time I walked the half mile to my stand. I was only there about 20 minutes when I saw 2 doe coming up the draw.

 I was hunting a funnel, and sitting right on the edge of an old logging road that the deer like to use. I had out some apples and a Deer Cane block (the deer love it, highly recommended). In the early season here in Jersey you have to shoot a doe before you can fill your buck tag.

The first doe came out into the open and I drew back on her. I was using my Hoyt Ultrasport set at 50 lbs, a new bow I just bought last year and hadn’t killed deer with yet. She stopped, a tree blocking her vital area and preventing me from taking a shot. She stayed that way for about 10 minutes and then my arms gave out and I had to let down. She moved forward and I managed to gather my strength and draw on her again, but again she stopped.

 After another 10 minutes I had to let down again and I accepted the fact that I may not get a shot. But she turned and started back the other way.

 I drew a third time, held my pin on her, released the arrow.

The way she took off and ran down the ravine I had a sudden wave of panic as I thought I had missed. Then, she suddenly staggered and fell over backwards, back down into the ravine, and lay still. I stood frozen to my stand for five minutes, just staring at the spot she had fallen. I knew she was dead.

 Here in North Jersey we have to get to our deer as fast as possible or risk losing it to coyotes or bears. I got down from my stand and field dressed it. By the time I was done I realized it was only about 6:15 and I still had plenty of daylight left.

The half mile walk dragging her out was a long one! But totally worth it! Luckily I had thought to bring a length of rope along with me, which made it easier. She weighed in at 92 pounds dressed, a nice sized doe for North Jersey. My hunt was a huge success. I had killed several deer with a bow before, and many with a gun, but this night I felt even better knowing that I had done everything myself, from the pre-season scouting and setting trail cameras out, to hanging the stand, killing, dressing, and dragging the deer out. I was feeling pretty good.



It doesn’t always have to be a trophy buck to be a trophy hunt.

4 comments:

  1. Great Story!! You're exactly right about "It doesn’t always have to be a trophy buck to be a trophy hunt." Just being out there and experiencing everything is the best part of all. Of course filling the freezer is a plus also. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great doe, Great story. And, you've learned something a think some hunters never learn, It is the experience that counts, not the size. Not that she isn't a fine doe; she's a good girl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Post! And I couldn't have said it better myself- "It doesn’t always have to be a trophy buck to be a trophy hunt". Happy Hunting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff gal, you put a smile on my face!!!

    ReplyDelete