Sunday, October 9, 2011

Life in Ohio

The other night Mike and I went and put up a treestand on one of the properties we'll be hunting. It's down in a hollow where three or four deer trails come together...I'm pretty excited to get out there. I just need to go get my Ohio resident hunting license and deer tags.


Last week I went and got my Ohio drivers license, switched my truck title and got new license plates. I even had to take a drivers test (written) which I passed fortunately since I didn't know all the answers on the test and had to play multiple guess.


It's kind of weird being here in Ohio for hunting season. I'm used to being able to go out every single day, morning and night, right from opening day. Now I have 2 kids to take care of and get on the bus, pick up from the bus stop, football games to go to, etc. Not that I'm complaining or anything, it's just different than what I'm used to. I think I'm going through deer hunting withdrawal a little bit...but next week I should be able to go sit in the woods with my bow and video camera!!!


I'm hoping to get a big ohio buck on the ground before our next out of state hunting trip...which I'm not altogether sure when (or where) our next trip will be. We have been planning to go to Kentucky for whitetail, as well as back to Jersey for a bear hunt. We put in for our cougar tags the other day so if one (or both) of us makes the draw, we'll be headed to Cougar Creek Outfitters in Utah for our first time ever cougar hunting. With bows!!! Which makes me happy. 


I need to get all of my hunting stuff ready for here in Ohio...bow, broadheads, arrows, rangefinder, knives, release, camera, camera arm, camo. I think I may need to make a list. It feels like it's been years since I've been hunting. Mike likes turkey hunting better than deer hunting so he hasn't been as excited as I am to get out in the treestand. Fall is my time; I love bowhunting whitetail more than anything.


I kind of feel like I missed out a little this year on all the pre-season scouting, food plots, trail cams, looking for scrapes, setting up stands...I guess I'll have to wait to do all that again until next year here in Ohio. All of that was done by the time I moved here, and I kind of miss doing it. 


But, hopefully next week I'll have a chance to shoot a big buck or even a doe here in Ohio. It will be my first Ohio deer, my first time killing anything with a Ross bow, and also my first time using Rage broadheads. Wish me luck!!!



1 comment:

  1. I wish you luck and hope to see you tag a nice buck.

    ReplyDelete